Managing time is one of the challenges of being a successful manager.If time is not managed properly you run the risk of being unable to work as well as you would like.Alternatively you may end up with so much work that you cannot complete all that you need to.
Time wasting activities
In order to have the time to do the work required you will need a time management strategy.First ,however it is important to know what might lead you to waste time.These activities include:
- Not spending enough time prioritising tasks or being clear about what has to be achieved.
- Putting off tasks that have to be achieved because they are too difficult or boring.
- Working on tasks that are simple rather than important.
- Responding to the person who shouts the loudest rather than doing the most important task.
- Trying to do everything rather than getting someone to assist.
- Giving out incorrect or poorly expressed information so that time is wasted by having to provide more information or correcting errors and unnecessarily lengthy phone calls, meetings or conversations.
- Time management strategies
- Once time wasting activities have been identified,a time management strategy should be formed based on five principles.
- You need to record all commitments, including meetings, tasks to be completed and deadlines and carryout regular work planning.
- You need to be clear about what it is you have to achieve.This will allow you to prioritize your work.It is easy to get sidetracked and to waste time on things that are interesting but not essential.
- You need to structure your time .Divide your time into blocks and allocate these blocks to certain activities.Tasks requiring concentration and research should be allocated the time when you feel most alert.Alternatively,responding to phone calls, paperwork, and email can be left for times when concentrated work is less possible.
- You need to identify time periods when you can and cannot be disturbed by those who work with you.
- You need to learn to say “no”. Rather than making you appear lazy.The ability to turn down requests for work when overloaded will make you appear efficient and the work that you will do will be better.